Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Chalk Painted Magazine Holder

I picked up this magazine rack at a garage sale intending to paint it.  It must have been painted in the 60's when the faux antique wood was popular.  The pictures were taken in my basement with very bad lighting.
 

 
I sanded it lightly and painted a coat of Kilz.
Below is a picture with one coat of Duck Egg Blue
AS Chalk Paint
 
I put a second coat of the Chalk Paint and
 trimmed it out with an outline of Old White and embellished it with a Fleur de Lis.
 I waxed it with the AS Clear Wax and sanded the edges.
Better lighting pics below!


I didn't paint the bottom.  I don't think it's necessary.
Besides, it helps to see that it is very old.
I added the Fleur de Lis by putting a thin coat of the Old White on a foam stamp and hoped for the best.
It worked.  I lightly sanded it with 120 grit sand paper, again to age it.
I added another coat of the Clear Wax to finish the project. 



No comments: