Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Artichoke Grilled Cheese Vegetarian Sandwich

Our family has a favorite holiday appetizer called artichoke dip.
Some of the ingredients are artichoke hearts, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese.
It's baked and you use crackers to get the gooey goodness.
I was watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives' when Guy went to a restaurant where they were making a sandwich that reminded me of our favorite dip.
Unfortunately I wasn't paying close attention and when I looked up the Food Network site, I couldn't find the recipe for the sandwich.

This is my improvised recipe.
Two cans of artichoke hearts packed in water
1/4 cup of Roasted Red Bell Peppers
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
1/4 teaspoon paprika
One cup of grated Parmesan cheese
Swiss Cheese Slices
Bread (I like to use a crusty, rustic type of bread)
Butter


This is a hearty sandwich, so it needs a hearty rustic bread to hold it together.




I strained the artichoke hearts and even tried to press as much of the water out as I could.


Once it's strained well, I chop it into 1/2 to 1/4 inch pieces

I also chopped the Roasted Red Bell Peppers into similar size, about 1/4 cup


I used a smoked paprika, but I'm sure you could use regular paprika


Grate enough Parmesan Cheese to make one cup


The ingredients are mixed together



Butter two slices of bread and spread the mixture over one slice of bread,
add slices of Swiss cheese to cover.


Add the top piece of bread and grill slowly on each side.
This gives it time to warm up and melt the ingredients together.


This recipe makes three to four large sandwiches or six to eight small sandwiches.


Enjoy!  

No comments: